    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.21
    On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 03:33:39PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > >
    > > We are already quite good at ignoring bug reports that come through
    > > linux-kernel, and it's an _advantage_ of the kernel Bugzilla to see more
    > > than 1600 open bugs because this tells how bad we are at handling bugs.
    >
    > No, it just shows that bugzilla doesn't matter for most of the kernel.
    >
    > Don't say that "bugzilla tells how bad we are at handling bugs". It tells
    > how bad *bugzilla* is for handling bugs, nothing more.
    >
    > Trying to play politics by pointing to bugzilla is pointless. Bugzilla is
    > used for a few subsystems (ACPI seems to use it actively, for example),
    > but I doubt most developers use it.
    >
    > Would be be good to have a better bug-tracking setup? Yes. But I think it
    > takes man-power, and it would take something *fundamentally* better than
    > bugzilla.

    Bugzilla has an email interface.
    Andrew forwards bugs from Bugzilla to developers.

    There might be small room for improvements, but I don't see how
    man-power or technology could make a big difference in this area.

    > Maybe the new "http://kernelnewbies.org/known_regressions" thing will
    > evolve to something worth tracking. Right now, bugzilla isn't it (although
    > it can be a useful tracking place for individual bugs, *once* you've found
    > and gotten the right developer involved - but that's a huge step that
    > bugzilla generally does *not* do for us).

    "*once* you've found and gotten the right developer involved" is the
    real problem, not how to track bugs.

    And not only a developer active in this area, more important a
    developer who knows the subsystem/driver involved *and is willing
    to work on bug reports*.

    *This* is *the* problem.
    And no change in bug tracking will help with this problem.

    > Linus

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.