SubjectRe: Back to the future.
Date
Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:

>> I also don't like the idea of storing this in the swap partition for a
>> couple of reasons.
>>
>> 1. on many modern linux systems the swap partition is not large enough.
>>
>> for example, on my boxes with 16G or ram I only allocate 2G of swap
>> space
>
> WTF? So allocate larger swap partition. You just told me disks are big
> enough.

1) Repartitioning is sometimes not an option.
2) What happens, if the swap space gets used?

I want to be sure I can suspend my {server,laptop} in case of power running
out. Using swap is only an option for desktops.

>> 2. it's too easy for other things to stomp on your swap partition.
>>
>> for example: booting from a live CD that finds and uses swap
>> partitions
>
> That's a feature. If you are booting from live CD, you _want_ to erase
> any hibernation image.

NACK. You want to keep all partitions related to the hibernated system
read-only. That's completely different from destroying all your unsafed
data and possibly long-running tasks.
--
Top 100 things you don't want the sysadmin to say:
51. YEEEHA!!! What a CRASH!!!

Friß, Spammer: C@rzlmn.7eggert.dyndns.org D9GLNDg@Zk.7eggert.dyndns.org