    SubjectRe: Back to the future.
    On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 05:18:16PM -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

    > Then you could use kexec for resume...

    While that would certainly be nifty, I think we're arguably starting
    from the wrong point here. Why are we booting a kernel, trying to poke
    the hardware back into some sort of mock-quiescent state, freeing memory
    and then (finally) overwriting the entire contents of RAM rather than
    just doing all of this from the bootloader? Given the time spent in
    kernel setup and unpacking initramfs nowadays, I'm willing to bet it'd
    still be faster even if you're stuck using int 13 on x86. suggests that Intel is looking into this,
    but I haven't heard anything more yet. To the best of my knowledge, this
    is also how Windows manages things.
    Matthew Garrett |

      Last update: 2007-04-28 03:05    [W:0.020 / U:12.056 seconds]