    SubjectRe: Back to the future.
    Linus Torvalds writes:

    > I really don't see how you can say that stopping threads etc can make any
    > difference what-so-ever. If you don't create the snapshot with interrupts
    > disabled (and just with a single CPU running) you have so many other
    > problems that it's not even remotely funny.

    I agree. I don't like the freezer. We have had working
    kernel-controlled suspend to RAM on powerbooks for almost 10 years
    now, and we never needed to freeze processes.

    That said, I can see two attractions in freezing processes:

    1. It provides a way to stop new I/O requests coming in, and thus
    somewhat makes up for the lack of a way to freeze device request
    queues (at least, we didn't have one last time I looked).

    2. Systems do sometimes die while suspended (e.g. run out of battery,
    or the resume process fails), and to make the next boot painless,
    you want the filesystems on disk to be as clean as possible.
    Freezing processes and then doing a sync provides one way to
    achieve that. Of course, you have to make sure you don't freeze
    any kernel threads that are needed for doing the sync... And if
    one of your filesystems is using FUSE, it's not going to get very
    far.

    Paul.

      Last update: 2007-04-28 02:53    [W:0.019 / U:30.132 seconds]