SubjectRe: [ext3][kernels >= at least] KDE going comatose when FS is under heavy write load (massive starvation)

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> It's true that this is a "feature" of ext3 with data=ordered (the default),
> but I suspect the same thing is now true in reiserfs too.

Oh, well.. Journalling sucks.

I was actually _really_ hoping that somebody would come along and tell
everybody that this whole journal-logging is stupid, and that it's just
better to not ever re-write blocks on disk, but instead write to new
blocks with version numbers (and not re-use old blocks until new versions
are stable on disk).

There was even somebody who did something like that for a PhD thesis, I
forget the details (and it apparently died when the thesis was presumably
accepted ;).

  Last update: 2007-04-27 21:55    [W:0.206 / U:1.132 seconds]