    SubjectRe: [ext3][kernels >= at least] KDE going comatose when FS is under heavy write load (massive starvation)

    On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Andreas Dilger wrote:
    > It's true that this is a "feature" of ext3 with data=ordered (the default),
    > but I suspect the same thing is now true in reiserfs too.

    Oh, well.. Journalling sucks.

    I was actually _really_ hoping that somebody would come along and tell
    everybody that this whole journal-logging is stupid, and that it's just
    better to not ever re-write blocks on disk, but instead write to new
    blocks with version numbers (and not re-use old blocks until new versions
    are stable on disk).

    There was even somebody who did something like that for a PhD thesis, I
    forget the details (and it apparently died when the thesis was presumably
    accepted ;).

      Last update: 2007-04-27 21:55    [W:0.025 / U:238.448 seconds]