    SubjectRe: [00/17] Large Blocksize Support V3
    On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 10:15:28PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > And hardware gets better. If Intel & AMD come out with a 16k pagesize
    > option in a couple of years we'll look pretty dumb. If the problems which
    > you're presently having with that controller get sorted out in the next
    > generation of the hardware, we'll also look pretty dumb.

    Unfortunately, this isn't a problem with hardware getting better, but
    a willingness to break backwards compatibility.

    x86_64 uses a 4k page size to avoid breaking 32-bit applications. And
    unfortunately, iirc, even 64-bit applications are continuing to depend
    on 4k page alignments for things like the text and bss segments. If
    the userspace ELF and other compiler/linker specifications were
    appropriate written so they could handle 16k pagesizes, maybe 5 years
    from now we could move to a 16k pagesize. But this is going to
    require some coordination between the userspace binutils folks and
    AMD/Intel in order to plan such a migration.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2007-04-27 18:59    [W:0.019 / U:3.340 seconds]