    SubjectRe: suspend2 merge
    Am Mittwoch 25 April 2007 schrieb Linus Torvalds:

    > And that's a *fundamental* problem. If the STD people cannot even
    > realize that they have less to do with "suspend" than to "reboot", how
    > do you ever expect them to get anything to work, and not affect other
    > things negatively?
    > Yeah, I'm down on it. I'm down on it because every person involved with
    > the whole STD thing seems to have basically zero taste, and a total
    > inability to work with anybody else.

    Hello Linus!

    I am no kernel developer. But I understand what you are trying to tell

    I agree that suspend to ram and snapshot should be handled differently by
    drivers. And unlike schedulers - whether it be I/O or process related
    ones - I think it should be quite easy to settle and decide on *one*
    implementation for each feature. It least it doesn't look as difficult as
    deciding on a scheduler which works for all the different workloads to

    I do not believe that the reasons preventing this to happen until now are
    of pure technical nature.

    I think snapshotting is a very important feature. I would patch it into my
    kernels if it was removed. But then I am using suspend2 anyway.

    Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald -

      Last update: 2007-04-27 14:39    [W:0.021 / U:13.684 seconds]