    Subjectdriver power operations (was Re: suspend2 merge)
    On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 22:31 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:

    > > So, the "suspend" and "resume" for the functions being called for that are
    > > wrong, but then we call them with PMSG_FREEZE. ;-) Still, we could add
    > > .freeze() and .thaw() callbacks for hibernation just fine. This wouldn't even
    > > be that difficult ...
    > It would be ugly big patch I'm afraid.

    It'd be a lot of code churn, but well worth it. And most of the changes
    would be trivial too. You need to start looking beyond "this is ugly in
    the short term" and realise that it's much more maintainable in the long
    term if driver writers know what they're supposed to do as opposed to
    just hacking at it until it mostly works or just doing a full device
    down/up cycle including resetting full driver state.

    Look at it now:

    * FREEZE Quiesce operations so that a consistent image can be saved;
    * but do NOT otherwise enter a low power device state, and do
    * NOT emit system wakeup events.
    * PRETHAW Quiesce as if for FREEZE; additionally, prepare for restoring
    * the system from a snapshot taken after an earlier FREEZE.
    * Some drivers will need to reset their hardware state instead
    * of preserving it, to ensure that it's never mistaken for the
    * state which that earlier snapshot had set up.

    Why is prethaw even necessary? As far as I can tell it's only necessary
    because resume() can't tell you whether you just want to thaw or need to
    reset since it doesn't tell you at what point it's invoked.

    Having ->freeze(), ->thaw() and ->restart() (can somebody come up with a
    better name?) that are called at the appropriate places (with
    freeze/thaw around preparing the image and freeze/restart around
    restoring would go a long way of clearing up the confusion in all the
    drivers. Of course, it'd have to be documented that freeze/thaw isn't
    the only valid combination but that freeze/restart is used too, but
    that's not hard to do nor hard to understand.

    And, incidentally, it could possibly make both suspend and hibernate
    work much faster too. The comments there talk about "minimally power
    management aware" drivers which always do the wrong thing for suspend,
    in that they always reset everything... Of course, some drivers will
    actually need to do that, but if freeze/suspend and thaw/restart/resume
    have the same prototypes (probably just int <function>(void)) then
    drivers can trivially assign the same there.
    And hibernate would benefit since a lot of drivers could do a lot less
    work for freeze/thaw.

    Or, if we don't want to have five calls and use 40 bytes (on 64-bit)
    just for these callback pointers for each device we could just as well
    have a single callback ->pm(what) and make "what" indicate which one of
    these five things... But then drivers can't make that code depend on the
    swsusp configuration which would be doable with five callbacks.

      Last update: 2007-04-27 12:23    [W:0.023 / U:12.596 seconds]