    SubjectRe: suspend2 merge (was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: CFS and suspend2: hang in atomic copy)
    Hi.

    On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 01:45 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > > What's your argument? Your argument seems to be that it's not stupid,
    > > because it can work. Can't you see that that simply isn't an
    > > argument at
    >
    > I tried keeping module_init/thaw/resume similar code, so that driver
    > authors can debug suspend-to-disk, cross their fingers, and have
    > suspend-to-ram work, too.

    > Now, perhaps enough people do std/str these days so this is not
    > important any longer... lets hope so.

    Noooo! It's important and getting more important. More and more, people
    are going to be demanding better power saving (climate change and all
    that stuff). The best power saving is to have the thing completely off,
    so STD is more important. The second best power saving is STR, so that's
    important too. But even more important is good power saving all the
    time.

    For that reason, I agree completely with Linus. The current model is far
    too limited. It shouldn't be so suspend-to-ram/disk centric, and should
    instead focus on run-time power management, with suspend to ram and disk
    as particular instances of run-time power management. It should make
    appropriate differentiation between snapshotting and suspending to ram.

    I do disagree that the current suspend-to-disk algorithm is broken. We
    do need a point at which we say "Ok, drivers, record your state." - the
    current device_suspend and device_resume calls. But that doesn't mean
    the need to be called device_suspend/resume or do what they do now.

    I'd love to help make this happen, but I'm afraid I just don't have the
    time.

    Nigel

      Last update: 2007-04-26 08:49    [W:0.020 / U:31.264 seconds]