    SubjectRe: [00/17] Large Blocksize Support V3
    On Thu, Apr 26 2007, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 04:38:54PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > > Hardware is built to handle many small pages efficintly, and I don't
    > > understand how it could be an SGI-only issue. Sure, you may have an
    > > order of magnitude or more memory than anyone else, but even my lowly
    > > desktop _already_ has orders of magnitude more pages than it has TLB
    > > entries or cache -- if a workload is cache-nice for me, it probably
    > > will be on a 1TB machine as well, and if it is bad for the 1TB machine,
    > > it is also bad on mine.
    > It's not an SGI-only issue, but apparently SGI are the only ones
    > that actually care about real highend linux setups to work on these
    > issues. The Problem is not on the CPU hardware side. It's on
    > the Software side and Storage hardware side, or rather a combination
    > of the two.

    Agree. I don't know why we are arguing the merrits of this, it's an
    obvious win. The problem is more if it's doable this way or not due to
    fragmentation, but that's a different discussion and should be kept

    Jens Axboe

      Last update: 2007-04-26 18:11    [W:0.020 / U:9.516 seconds]