    SubjectRe: [00/17] Large Blocksize Support V3
    Christoph Lameter wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Nick Piggin wrote:
    >

    >>Yeah. IMO anti-fragmentation and defragmentation is the hack, and we
    >>should stay away from higher order allocations whenever possible.
    >

    > Right and we need to create series of other approaches that we then label
    > "non-hack" to replace it.

    I don't understand? We're talking about several utterly different designs
    to approach these problems. You don't agree that one might be better than
    another?

    >>Hardware is built to handle many small pages efficintly, and I don't
    >>understand how it could be an SGI-only issue. Sure, you may have an
    >>order of magnitude or more memory than anyone else, but even my lowly
    >>desktop _already_ has orders of magnitude more pages than it has TLB
    >>entries or cache -- if a workload is cache-nice for me, it probably
    >>will be on a 1TB machine as well, and if it is bad for the 1TB machine,
    >>it is also bad on mine.
    >

    > There have been numbers of people that have argued the same point. Just
    > because we have developed a way of thinking to defend our traditional 4k
    > values does not make them right.
    >

    >>If this is instead an issue of io path or reclaim efficiency, then it
    >>would be really nice to see numbers... but I don't think making these
    >>fundamental paths more complex and slower is a nice way to fix it
    >>(larger PAGE_SIZE would be, though).
    >

    > The code paths can stay the same. You can switch CONFIG_LARGE pages off
    > if you do not want it and it is as it was.

    That isn't a good reason to merge something. If you don't have numbers then
    that just seems incredible.

    > If you would have a look the patches: The code is significantly cleanup
    > and easier to read.

    Cleanups are fine.

    --
    SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.