SubjectRe: suspend2 merge (was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: CFS and suspend2: hang in atomic copy)
Hi.

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 11:07 +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 18:50 +1000, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > > (And guess what, it uses APM and suspend is really faster and way more
> > > reliable than each kernel implementation I could try).
> >
> > If you tried Suspend2 and had problems with reliability, please send me
> > logs. I'll do all I can to help. (I have to qualify it a bit, because
> > I'm not able to fix drivers, but if it's a Suspend2 issue, tell me and
> > I'll fix it).
>
> Does suspend2 work with APM ? After much trying, I think now the ACPI
> implementation of my laptop (a vintage Compaq Armada 1700) is busted,
> only APM works.

It should do. If you set the powerdown method to 0, it will use
machine_power_off() instead of trying to use acpi, fall back to
machine_halt() if that fails and lastly (should not be needed) a
while(1) cpu_relax() loop.

> AFAIR the problem with suspend2 was that it didn't poweroff some parts
> of the laptop (the led of the wifi pcmcia card was on, and the lcd light
> was on too), but that was last year. Kernel's suspend kind of worked but
> didn't resume (no reaction on button press). As I tried all this last
> year, I may have forgotten some things.

The code to poweroff those parts will be dependent on the drivers
(assuming I'm making the right calls). If it's something where swsusp
works and suspend2 doesn't, it will be because I'm doing something
wrong. If they both don't do the right thing, then it's probably the
driver.

> Honestly, I like this laptop when it works flawlessly, so I don't see
> many reasons to try *susp* again. I'll do it when I'm bored, just not
> today.

Okay :) Just let me know if I can help.

Nigel

  Last update: 2007-04-25 11:21    [W:0.344 / U:0.076 seconds]