    SubjectRe: suspend2 merge (was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: CFS and suspend2: hang in atomic copy)

    On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Pavel Machek wrote:

    > > I don't understand how you can even *claim* something like that.
    > BTW most problems are in thaw/resume functions.

    And do you realize that the thaw/resume functions are totally different

    Or rather, they *would* be, if you allowed them to.

    For example, for "snapshot + thaw", the _sane_ thing is to actually make
    the snapshot just throw away all the DMA tables etc, and let the thawing
    just do a full initialization (as it did on boot). It basically needs to
    do that anyway, and it simplifies the whole thing (ie you don't even
    *want* to save things like the DMA command queues etc - the ones that will
    quite often be stepped on by the final "write snapshot to disk" stuff

    For suspend to ram, in contrast, since you *know* that nobody will be
    touching the hardware, and since the timings are very different anyway
    (you'd hope that you can resume in a second or two), you'd generally want
    to keep the DMA engine tables right where they are, and just literally
    suspend the PCI chip itself.

    See? Again, *nothing* in common.

    You think they have things in common just because your whole (incorrect)
    mindset has _forced_ them to have things in common, becasue your setup
    stupidly thinks that "resume" is the same as "thaw", the same way you
    think "freeze" is the same as "suspend".

    NEITHER is true. You've _made_ them true in your mind, but there's
    absolutely zero reason that they *should* be true.

      Last update: 2007-04-26 01:13    [W:0.020 / U:49.940 seconds]