    SubjectRe: suspend2 merge (was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: CFS and suspend2: hang in atomic copy)

    On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, Adrian Bunk wrote:

    > > .. but if the alternative is a feature that just isn't worth it, and
    > > likely to not only have its own bugs, but cause bugs elsewhere? (And yes,
    > > I believe STD is both of those. There's a reason it's called "STD". Go
    > > to google and type "STD" and press "I'm feeling lucky". Google is God).
    > Is there really no use case for STD?

    People seem to have reading comprehension problems.

    The STD code is buggy, and has introduced bugs in STR too, largely thanks
    to bad design. Some of them have happily gotten fixed. Others did not, and
    now we have three totally different versions (two of which share some
    infrastructure), all of which are broken (ie the "suspend2" people will
    swear up-and-down that swsusp doesn't work for them, but anybody who
    thinks that "suspend2" will work for everybody is just being a total
    idiot, and I have a bridge to sell to them).

    I'd actually be happier *removing* STD support in the sense it is now:
    it's way too closely integrated with STR, even though it has absolutely
    nothing in common with it. When you STD, you'e actually much closer to a
    *shutdown* than to STR, yet the STD code continually seems to want to be
    in the "suspend" path, as shown even by its name.

    So my objections to STD have nothing to do with saving state and shutting
    down. They have everything to do with the fact that it is not - and will
    never be - a "suspend", and it shouldn't affect suspend.

    And that's a *fundamental* problem. If the STD people cannot even realize
    that they have less to do with "suspend" than to "reboot", how do you ever
    expect them to get anything to work, and not affect other things

    Yeah, I'm down on it. I'm down on it because every person involved with
    the whole STD thing seems to have basically zero taste, and a total
    inability to work with anybody else.

      Last update: 2007-04-25 21:43    [W:0.026 / U:7.048 seconds]