    SubjectRe: Question about Reiser4
    On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 17:12 -0700, lkml777@123mail.org wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 19:00:46 -0700, "Eric Hopper"
    > > <hopper@omnifarious.org> said:
    >
    > > I did. That whole thread is some guy spouting off a ludicrous Bonnie++
    > > benchmark showing that compressing long strings of 0s results in things
    > > taking up very little space and being very fast.
    >
    > I think you are deliberately being stupid here.
    >
    > You are claiming that REISER4's good speed results when using
    > compression actually has a simple explanation and THEREFORE all good
    > result for the filesystem, even those results that have nothing to do
    > with compression, are negated.

    I am claiming nothing of the sort. You are assuming that I'm claiming
    this for some random reason. And in so doing, you are hurting your
    cause and mine.

    If you would bother to read, I really like the ideas in Reiser4, and I
    definitely think it has distinct performance advantages in some much
    more common situations than the highly flawed benchmark with Bonnie++
    and compression. I would like it included in the mainline kernel. In
    arguing with me, you are arguing against someone who (as far as I can
    tell) you actually share a cause with.

    But, bringing in benchmarks that have serious flaws as a general
    use-case and attempting to use them as an argument does way more to hurt
    your cause than help. It brands you as a crackpot and a crank (note
    that I am not calling you either of those things) and that impression
    will also bleed off onto all those who share an association with you by
    way of sharing some of your opinions.

    Additionally, repeatedly posting something everybody has already read
    and ranting about how everybody is ignoring all the good parts of it and
    focusing on the bad parts makes things even worse.

    I will not respond to you again. Please stop jumping into discussions
    about Reiser4. I would like it included in the mainline kernel, and you
    are hurting that cause.

    --
    Eric Hopper (hopper@omnifarious.org http://www.omnifarious.org/~hopper/)

      Last update: 2007-04-25 08:29    [W:0.025 / U:29.716 seconds]