    SubjectRe: cpufreq default governor
    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Michal Piotrowski wrote:
    > On 24/04/07, William Heimbigner <icxcnika@mar.tar.cc> wrote:

    >> > I didn't say that cpufreq ondemand is broken. It's a hardware problem.

    >> > Yes, something like that.
    >>
    >> Is it actually "not working" though, even at the hardware level?
    >
    > It works, but for me this sounds are very weird ;)
    >
    >> To my
    >> knowledge those noises are normal, and aren't even signs of a harware
    >> problem. I believe it is the natural result of changing frequencies at any
    >> time. If you change frequencies, especially in the low end of available
    >> frequencies, you should hear a very brief noise. A governor such as
    >> ondemand, which is rapidly switching the frequency from say, 333 MHz to
    >> 2.66 GHz, is likely to make this much more noticable.
    >
    > Ok, it might be normal behavior. I might be wrong, but IMO users
    > prefer speed and no strange sounds as default setting.

    I agree! My suggestion, however, is that if they do want a different
    scheduler as the default, they can choose one.

    There are some cases in which this could be very useful. A couple examples
    would be the processor with poor cooling that overheats easily, or a
    laptop with a poor battery.

    However, on second thought with regards to Kconfig, would it be feasible
    to have performance always be the default, unless a
    "cpufreqgov=conservative" arguement was specified on the command line?

    This would be less susceptible to users complaining that their cpu is
    chirping all of a sudden.

    William Heimbigner
    icxcnika@mar.tar.cc

      Last update: 2007-04-24 15:29    [W:0.025 / U:90.988 seconds]