    SubjectRe: [BUG? -rc7] SMP: Just one CPU activated: P4 3GHz HT

    On 4/23/07, Robert Hancock <hancockr@shaw.ca> wrote:

    > You didn't enable ACPI, it's needed for almost all systems to detect HT
    > and also for many systems to detect multi-cores as well.
    >
    > Aside from that, in general I would say that on any modern x86 system
    > ACPI should always be enabled. In many cases it seems the BIOS code is
    > not tested much without ACPI anymore, so going without ACPI can be
    > problematic.
    >
    > --
    > Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    > To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@nospamshaw.ca
    > Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/

    Thanks all of you. It seems the problem is ACPI, however, should not
    it be noted in some way? Maybe at Documentation/smp.txt, maybe at the
    help section at CONFIG_SMP, maybe a "depends on ..."

    Or maybe CONFIG_SMP should enable some bits of the ACPI code needed to
    detect such additional cores.

    --
    Miguel Ojeda
    http://maxextreme.googlepages.com/index.htm