SubjectRe: [BUG? -rc7] SMP: Just one CPU activated: P4 3GHz HT

On 4/23/07, Robert Hancock <hancockr@shaw.ca> wrote:

> You didn't enable ACPI, it's needed for almost all systems to detect HT
> and also for many systems to detect multi-cores as well.
>
> Aside from that, in general I would say that on any modern x86 system
> ACPI should always be enabled. In many cases it seems the BIOS code is
> not tested much without ACPI anymore, so going without ACPI can be
> problematic.
>
> --
> Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
> To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@nospamshaw.ca
> Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/

Thanks all of you. It seems the problem is ACPI, however, should not
it be noted in some way? Maybe at Documentation/smp.txt, maybe at the
help section at CONFIG_SMP, maybe a "depends on ..."

Or maybe CONFIG_SMP should enable some bits of the ACPI code needed to
detect such additional cores.

--
Miguel Ojeda
http://maxextreme.googlepages.com/index.htm