SubjectRe: [report] renicing X, cfs-v5 vs sd-0.46
Date
On Monday 23 April 2007, Niel Lambrechts wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> This message prompted me to do some checking in re context switches
>> myself, and I've come to the conclusion that there could be a bug in
>> vmstat itself.
>
>Perhaps. perhaps not. :)
>
>> Run singly the context switching is reasonable even for a -19 niceness of
>> x, its only showing about 200 or so on the first loop of vmstat. But
>> throw in the -n 1 arguments and it goes crazy on the second and subsequent
>> loops.
>
>man vmstat:
>"The first report produced gives averages since the last reboot.
>Additional reports give information on a sampling period of length delay."

I missed that, concentrating on finding the method of telling it the delay I
guess.

So then the next question is, over what period is that obviously lower figure
being averaged over? Certainly not over a 1 second period else it would then
be much higher, as seen by the figures after the initial delay. The time
slice spec'd in /proc/sys/kernel/sched_granularity_ns, which here is
currently 5000000 or 5 milliseconds? If that was the case, the first answer
would be in the area of 15, not 200.

So educate me, off list if you would like and have the time.

Thanks Niel.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)