    SubjectRe: intermittant petabyte usage reported with broadcom nic
    On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 11:43:19 +1000 CaT <> wrote:

    > I take minute by minute snapshots of network traffic by sampling
    > /proc/net/dev and most of the time everything works fine. Occasionally
    > though I get petabyte byte traffic and corresponding packet traffic.

    How frequently?

    Are you able to provide some actual numbers (expected and actual values),
    so we can look at the bit patterns?

    > This happens on an AMD64, dual core smp box with Broadcom NetXtreme II
    > nics.

    What driver drivers that? b44.c?

    > The issue happens with both nics but at different times. The same
    > sampling code runs on p4 boxes with ht on and e1000 nics without issues
    > so I don't believe it's an issue with my code (famous last words :)
    > which just does an re to extract the data on a per-line basis and prints
    > it out. Still, I'll be adding code to log any big readings and hopefully
    > it'll happen again sooner rather then later.
    > There is no preemption involved and the kernel is a monolythic build of
    > 2.6.19.[12] (there are two servers).

    We do perform racy 64-bit updates of some of the stats counters. But
    that'll only affect 32-bit kernels and I'm assuming you're running a 64-bit
    kernel on that AMD64 box (are you?)

    Plus it's odd that both the byte-counters and the packet-counters go wonky
    at the same time.

      Last update: 2007-04-02 09:15    [W:0.023 / U:1.840 seconds]