SubjectRE: Could the k8temp driver be interfering with ACPI?
The ACPI specification allows concurrent execution of control methods
although methods cannot be preempted. The ACPICA interpreter mutex is
used to implement this model.

From section 5.5.2, "Control Method Execution": Interpretation of a
Control Method is not preemptive, but it can block. When a control
method does block, the operating software can initiate or continue the
execution of a different control method. A control method can only
assume that access to global objects is exclusive for any period the
control method does not block.

Therefore, the interpreter lock is acquired and a control method is
allowed to execute to completion unless it blocks on one of the events
described below. If the method blocks, the interpreter is unlocked and
other control methods may execute.

I'm not sure what you mean by "in the middle of an SMBus transaction", I
don't know how long such a transaction is valid. I might guess that a
single transaction can only span a single operation region access, but
I'm not sure of this.

A user-installed operation region handler is an operation region handler
that is installed by a device driver. This feature would probably only
be used for custom (OEM-defined) operation region address spaces. (I
have not seen one yet.) For the standard address spaces (memory, I/O,
etc.), usually only the default handlers are used.

Bob

  Last update: 2007-04-02 22:59    [W:0.117 / U:0.076 seconds]