SubjectRe: [Announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely Fair Scheduler [CFS]
On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 09:09 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Mike Galbraith <efault@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > With a heavily reniced X (perfectly fine), that should indeed solve my
> > daily usage pattern nicely (always need godmode for shells, but not
> > for mozilla and ilk. 50/50 split automatic without renice of entire
> > gui)
>
> how about the first-approximation solution i suggested in the previous
> mail: to add a per UID default nice level? (With this default defaulting
> to '-10' for all root-owned processes, and defaulting to '0' for
> everything else.) That would solve most of the current CFS regressions
> at hand.

That would make my kernel builds etc interfere with my other self's
surfing and whatnot. With it by EUID, when I'm surfing or whatnot, the
X portion of my Joe-User activity pushes the compile portion of root
down in bandwidth utilization automagically, which is exactly the right
thing, because the root me in not as important as the Joe-User me using
the GUI at that time. If the idea of X disturbing root upsets some,
they can move X to another UID. Generally, it seems perfect for here.

-Mike

  Last update: 2007-04-19 09:35    [W:0.846 / U:0.544 seconds]