    SubjectRe: Renice X for cpu schedulers
    Con Kolivas wrote:
    > You're welcome and thanks for taking the floor to speak. I would say you have
    > actually agreed with me though. X is not unique, it's just an obvious so
    > let's not design the cpu scheduler around the problem with X. Same goes for
    > every other application. Leaving the choice to hand out differential cpu
    > usage when they seem to need is should be up to the users. The donation idea
    > has been done before in some fashion or other in things like "back-boost"
    > which Linus himself tried in 2.5.X days. It worked lovely till it did the
    > wrong thing and wreaked havoc.

    <nod> I know. I came to the party late, or I would have played with it back
    then. Perhaps you could correct me, but it seems his back-boost didn't do
    any dampening, which means the system could get into nasty capture scenarios,
    where two processes bouncing messages back and forth could take over the
    scheduler and starve out the rest. It seems pretty obvious in hind-sight
    that something without exponential dampening would allow feedback loops.

    Regardless, perhaps we are in agreement. I just don't like the idea of having
    to guess how much work postgresql is going to be doing on my client processes'
    behalf. Worse, I don't necessarily want it to have that -10 priority when
    it's going and updating statistics or whatnot, or any other housekeeping
    activity that shouldn't make a noticeable impact on the rest of the system.
    Worst, I'm leery of the idea that if I get its nice level wrong, that I'm
    going to be affecting the overall throughput of the server.

    All of which are only hypothetical worries, granted.

    Anyway, I'll shut up now. Thanks again for stickin' with it.

    Ray

      Last update: 2007-04-20 02:59    [W:2.080 / U:0.124 seconds]