SubjectRe: [Announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely Fair Scheduler [CFS]
Date
On Thursday 19 April 2007 18:18, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
> > You can certainly script it with -geometry. But it is the wrong
> > application for this matter, because you benchmark X more than
> > glxgears itself. What would be better is something like a line
> > rotating 360 degrees and doing some short stuff between each
> > degree, so that X is not much sollicitated, but the CPU would be
> > spent more on the processes themselves.
>
> at least on my setup glxgears goes via DRI/DRM so there's no X
> scheduling inbetween at all, and the visual appearance of glxgears is
> a direct function of its scheduling.

How much of the subjective interactiveness-feel of the desktop is at the
mercy of the X server's scheduling and not the cpu scheduler?

I've noticed that video playback is significantly smoother and resistant
to other load, when using MPlayer's opengl output, especially if
"heavy" programs are running at the same time. Especially firefox and
ksysguard seem to have found a way to cause video through Xv to look
annoyingly jittery.

  Last update: 2007-04-20 02:03    [W:0.398 / U:0.076 seconds]