    SubjectRe: Renice X for cpu schedulers
    Date
    On Thursday 19 April 2007, Mark Lord wrote:
    >Con Kolivas wrote:
    >> On Thursday 19 April 2007 23:17, Mark Lord wrote:
    >>> Con Kolivas wrote:
    >>> s go ahead and think up great ideas for other ways of metering out cpu

    >>> Just plain "make" (no -j2 or -j9999) is enough to kill interactivity
    >>> on my 2GHz P-M single-core non-HT machine with SD.
    >>>
    >>> But with the very first posted version of CFS by Ingo,
    >>> I can do "make -j2" no problem and still have a nicely interactive
    >>> destop.
    >>
    >> Cool. Then there's clearly a bug with SD that manifests on your machine as
    >> it should not have that effect at all (and doesn't on other people's
    >> machines). I suggest trying the latest version which fixes some bugs.
    >
    >SD just doesn't do nearly as good as the stock scheduler, or CFS, here.

    I found the early SD's much friendlier here, but I also think that at that
    point I was comparing SD to stock 2.6.21-rc5 and 6, and to say that it sucked
    would be a slight understatement.

    >I'm quite likely one of the few single-CPU/non-HT testers of this stuff.
    >If it should ever get more widely used I think we'd hear a lot more
    > complaints.

    I'm in that row of seats too Mark. Someday I have to build a new box, that's
    all there is to it...

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)