    SubjectRe: [Announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely Fair Scheduler [CFS]

    * Willy Tarreau <> wrote:

    > Good idea. The machine I'm typing from now has 1000 scheddos running
    > at +19, and 12 gears at nice 0. [...]

    > From time to time, one of the 12 aligned gears will quickly perform a
    > full quarter of round while others slowly turn by a few degrees. In
    > fact, while I don't know this process's CPU usage pattern, there's
    > something useful in it : it allows me to visually see when process
    > accelerate/decelerate. [...]

    cool idea - i have just tried this and it rocks - you can easily see the
    'nature' of CPU time distribution just via visual feedback. (Is there
    any easy way to start up 12 glxgears fully aligned, or does one always
    have to mouse around to get them into proper position?)

    btw., i am using another method to quickly judge X's behavior: i started
    the 'snowflakes' plugin in Beryl on Fedora 7, which puts a nice smooth
    opengl-rendered snow fall on the desktop background. That gives me an
    idea about how well X is scheduling under various workloads, without
    having to instrument it explicitly.

      Last update: 2007-04-19 11:05    [W:0.025 / U:34.252 seconds]