    SubjectRe: [Announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely Fair Scheduler [CFS]
    On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, William Lee Irwin III wrote:

    > On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 11:50:03PM -0700, Davide Libenzi wrote:
    > > I would suggest to thoroughly test all your alternatives before deciding.
    > > Some code and design may look very good and small at the beginning, but
    > > when you start patching it to cover all the dark spots, you effectively
    > > end up with another thing (in both design and code footprint).
    > > About O(1), I never thought it was a must (besides a good marketing
    > > material), and O(log(N)) *may* be just fine (to be verified, of course).
    >
    > The trouble with thorough testing right now is that no one agrees on
    > what the tests should be and a number of the testcases are not in great
    > shape. An agreed-upon set of testcases for basic correctness should be
    > devised and the implementations of those testcases need to be
    > maintainable code and the tests set up for automated testing and
    > changing their parameters without recompiling via command-line options.
    >
    > Once there's a standard regression test suite for correctness, one
    > needs to be devised for performance, including interactive performance.
    > The primary difficulty I see along these lines is finding a way to
    > automate tests of graphics and input device response performance. Others,
    > like how deterministically priorities are respected over progressively
    > smaller time intervals and noninteractive workload performance are
    > nowhere near as difficult to arrange and in many cases already exist.
    > Just reuse SDET, AIM7/AIM9, OAST, contest, interbench, et al.

    What I meant was, that the rules (requirements and associated test cases)
    for this new Scheduler Amazing Race should be set forward, and not kept a
    moving target to fit&follow one or the other implementation.

    - Davide

      Last update: 2007-04-17 09:31    [W:0.022 / U:30.684 seconds]