    SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] How should an exit routine wait for release() callbacks?
    On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:12:47 -0700,
    Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

    > Ah, just found this original thread, now Cornelia's patches make more
    > sense...

    I would have included a pointer, but couldn't access marc yesterday
    evening, sorry...

    > On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 11:24:58AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
    > > Tejun, it just occurred to me that you would be interested in this email
    > > thread. Just to bring you up to speed, here's the original question:
    > >
    > > > I've got a module which registers a struct device. (It represents a
    > > > virtual device, not a real one, but that doesn't matter.)
    >
    > Wait, that's the issue right there.
    >
    > Don't do that.
    >
    > devices should be created by busses or the platform core, which owns the
    > release function for them. Individual drivers should not create
    > devices.

    There are drivers that do it, for a variety of reasons.

    > Hm, but then, how would you ever unload a bus, as the same issue might
    > be there too...

    Exactly :) This would imply busses/subsystems could never be unloadable
    modules.

    > Any specific code in the kernel you can point to that has this issue
    > today?

    zfcp comes to mind. They register some units in zfcp_aux.c, which don't
    have anything to do with the bus the zfcp adapter is on (the ccw bus).
    Currently, that is "solved" by disallowing zfcp module unloading.

      Last update: 2007-04-17 09:29    [W:0.022 / U:89.940 seconds]