    SubjectRe: Interface for the new fallocate() system call
    On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 02:14:17AM -0500, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
    > Wouldn't
    > int fallocate(loff_t offset, loff_t len, int fd, int mode)
    > work on both s390 and ppc/arm? glibc will certainly wrap it and
    > reorder the arguments as needed, so there is no need to keep fd first.

    I think more people are comfirtable with this approach. Since glibc
    will wrap the system call and export the "conventional" interface
    (with fd first) to applications, we may not worry about keeping fd first
    in kernel code. I am personally fine with this approach.

    Still, if people have major concerns, we can think of getting rid of the
    "mode" argument itself. Anyhow we may, in future, need to have a policy
    based system call (say, for providing the goal block by applications for
    performance reasons). "mode" can then be made part of it.

    Comments ?
    Amit Arora

      Last update: 2007-04-17 14:59    [W:0.026 / U:1.872 seconds]