    SubjectRe: [Devel] Re: [patch 05/10] add "permit user mounts in new namespace" clone flag

    > "Serge E. Hallyn" <serue@us.ibm.com> writes:
    >
    > > Quoting Miklos Szeredi (miklos@szeredi.hu):
    > >> From: Miklos Szeredi <mszeredi@suse.cz>
    > >>
    > >> If CLONE_NEWNS and CLONE_NEWNS_USERMNT are given to clone(2) or
    > >> unshare(2), then allow user mounts within the new namespace.
    > >>
    > >> This is not flexible enough, because user mounts can't be enabled
    > for
    > >> the initial namespace.
    > >>
    > >> The remaining clone bits also getting dangerously few...
    > >>
    > >> Alternatives are:
    > >>
    > >> - prctl() flag
    > >> - setting through the containers filesystem
    > >
    > > Sorry, I know I had mentioned it, but this is definately my least
    > > favorite approach.
    > >
    > > Curious whether are any other suggestions/opinions from the
    > containers
    > > list?
    >
    > Given the existence of shared subtrees allowing/denying this at the
    > mount
    > namespace level is silly and wrong.
    >
    > If we need more than just the filesystem permission checks can we
    > make it a mount flag settable with mount and remount that allows
    > non-privileged users the ability to create mount points under it
    > in directories they have full read/write access to.

    Also for bind-mount and remount operations the flag has to be propagated
    down its propagation tree. Otherwise a unpriviledged mount in a shared
    mount wont get reflected in its peers and slaves, leading to unidentical
    shared-subtrees.

    RP