    SubjectRe: [Announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely Fair Scheduler [CFS]

    * Andi Kleen <> wrote:

    > > i'm pleased to announce the first release of the "Modular Scheduler
    > > Core and Completely Fair Scheduler [CFS]" patchset:
    > >

    > I would suggest to drop the tsc.c change. The "small errors" can be
    > really large on some systems and you can also see large backward
    > jumps.

    actually, i designed the CFS code assuming a per-CPU TSC (with no global
    synchronization), not assuming any globally sync TSC. In fact i wrote it
    on such systems: a CoreDuo2 box that has stops the TSC in C3 and the
    different cores have wildly different TSC values and a dual-core
    Athlon64 that quickly drifts its TSC. So i'll keep the sched_clock()
    change for now.

    > BTW with all this CPU time measurement it would be really nice to
    > report it to the user too. It seems a bit bizarre that the scheduler
    > keeps track of ns, but top only knows jiffies with large sampling
    > errors.

    yeah - i'll fix that too if someone doesnt beat me at it.

      Last update: 2007-04-16 23:09    [W:0.027 / U:11.348 seconds]