    SubjectRe: Loud "pop" coming from hard drive on reboot
    I can confirm this, I have a Seagate Momentus 5400.3 sata disk, and it
    spins off, respin up and again off when I halt my notebook.
    I had before this disk an IBM/Hitachi one, and it doesn't have this behaviour.

    Take a look at this bug report:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.17/+bug/67810

    There are some references and some patches against 2.6.20 kernel. This
    bug is confirmed there.

    Bye

    2007/4/11, Chuck Ebbert <cebbert@redhat.com>:
    > Jan Engelhardt wrote:
    > > On Apr 11 2007 17:07, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
    > >> When I reboot my notebook, it powers off and powers back on.
    > >> On poweroff a loud snapping noise seems to be coming from the
    > >> hard drive. Today I noticed there is no "shutdown: hda" on
    > >> the console when I reboot. Whne I do a normal poweroff the
    > >> message is displayed and there is no noise. Should the IDE
    > >> code be changed so it always shuts down the drive?
    > >
    > > What sort of notebook? What sort of harddisk?
    >
    > Compaq Presario V2000 series, with a new Seagate ST9120821A
    > 120GB 5400RPM drive.
    >
    > > Is it as loud as `hdparm -y /dev/hdX"?
    >
    > That makes no noise at all except normal drive seek noises.
    >
    > > Try `smartctl -d ata -a /dev/hdX | grep -i unload` too.
    >
    > Hmm.
    >
    > Power_Cycle_Count ... 108
    > Power-Off_Retract_Count ... 90
    >
    > I did a normal poweroff and the retract count went to 91.
    > There is an almost-unnoticeable click when I do it that way.
    >
    > -

      Last update: 2007-04-15 18:09    [W:0.034 / U:0.740 seconds]