SubjectRe: Loud "pop" coming from hard drive on reboot
I can confirm this, I have a Seagate Momentus 5400.3 sata disk, and it
spins off, respin up and again off when I halt my notebook.
I had before this disk an IBM/Hitachi one, and it doesn't have this behaviour.

Take a look at this bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.17/+bug/67810

There are some references and some patches against 2.6.20 kernel. This
bug is confirmed there.

Bye