    SubjectRe: [Announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely Fair Scheduler [CFS]
    On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 10:48:24PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > 2) plugsched did not allow on the fly selection of schedulers, nor did
    > it allow a per CPU selection of schedulers. IO schedulers you can
    > change per disk, on the fly, making them much more useful in
    > practice. Also, IO schedulers (while definitely not being slow!) are
    > alot less performance sensitive than CPU schedulers.

    One of the reasons I never posted my own code is that it never met its
    own design goals, which absolutely included switching on the fly. I
    think Peter Williams may have done something about that. It was my hope
    to be able to do insmod sched_foo.ko until it became clear that the
    effort it was intended to assist wasn't going to get even the limited
    hardware access required, at which point I largely stopped working on
    it.

    On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 10:48:24PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > 3) I/O schedulers are pretty damn clean code, and plugsched, at least
    > the last version i saw of it, didnt come even close.

    I'm not sure what happened there. It wasn't a big enough patch to take
    hits in this area due to getting overwhelmed by the programming burden
    like some other efforts of mine. Maybe things started getting ugly once
    on-the-fly switching entered the picture. My guess is that Peter Williams
    will have to chime in here, since things have diverged enough from my
    one-time contribution 4 years ago.

    -- wli

      Last update: 2007-04-16 01:43    [W:0.035 / U:3.028 seconds]