    SubjectRe: intermittant petabyte usage reported with broadcom nic
    Roland Dreier <rdreier@cisco.com> writes:

    > [Adding Michael Chan, who seems to look after bnx2, to the cc list]
    >
    > > To clarify it's an Intel Dual Core Xeon (I just wound up as thinking of
    > > them all as amd64s). Network card driver in use is the one defined by
    > > CONFIG_BNX2. Kernel's monolithic.
    >
    > From a quick look at bnx2.c, it seems that the driver gives the NIC
    > (firmware?) a block of memory to DMA stats into, and just reads from
    > that memory in its get_stats method. So if you're seeing wonky stats
    > from the NIC intermittently, my best guess would be that firmware is
    > occasionally writing junk into the stats block.

    When only the firmware is writing to that area it could be put
    into an own page and then write protected with change_page_attr()
    That would catch any corruption coming from the rest of the kernel.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2007-04-13 02:21    [W:0.027 / U:31.232 seconds]