    SubjectRe: intermittant petabyte usage reported with broadcom nic
    [Adding Michael Chan, who seems to look after bnx2, to the cc list]

    > To clarify it's an Intel Dual Core Xeon (I just wound up as thinking of
    > them all as amd64s). Network card driver in use is the one defined by
    > CONFIG_BNX2. Kernel's monolithic.

    From a quick look at bnx2.c, it seems that the driver gives the NIC
    (firmware?) a block of memory to DMA stats into, and just reads from
    that memory in its get_stats method. So if you're seeing wonky stats
    from the NIC intermittently, my best guess would be that firmware is
    occasionally writing junk into the stats block.

    - R.

      Last update: 2007-04-13 01:31    [W:0.027 / U:0.352 seconds]