    SubjectRe: Loud "pop" coming from hard drive on reboot
    Jan Engelhardt wrote:
    > On Apr 11 2007 17:35, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
    >> Jan Engelhardt wrote:
    >>> What sort of notebook? What sort of harddisk?
    >> Compaq Presario V2000 series, with a new Seagate ST9120821A
    >> 120GB 5400RPM drive.
    > I specifically hoped you might have a TOSHIBA MK2003GAH,
    > which does a hard unload when left idle for too long.
    > Only on reboots huh?
    > What happens if you reboot another OS, freebsd f.ex.? (You can try that off
    > CD1)

    Now we're getting somewhere. There is some other OS on here because
    it's required for doing BIOS updates. I booted it and shut down.
    The power cycle count increased but the power off retract count did not.

    The counts are:

    power cycle ... 111
    power off retract ... 92

    The difference is now 19; it was 18 before.

      Last update: 2007-04-12 00:11    [W:0.024 / U:151.480 seconds]