SubjectRe: [GIT PULL -mm] Unionfs branch management code
Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 10:53:51 -0400 "Josef 'Jeff' Sipek" <jsipek@cs.sunysb.edu> wrote:
>
>> The following patches introduce new branch-management code into Unionfs as
>> well as fix a number of stability issues and resource leaks.
>
> I have a mental note that unionfs is in the "stuck" state, due to general
> agreement that we should implement this functionality at the VFS level, one
> reason for which is unionfs's upper-vs-lower coherency problems.

How can a union file system with a decent set of useful semantics be
fully implemented at the VFS layer in a "clean" manner?

For instance, a major use of unionfs is live CDs, namely unionfs w/ a
read-only and read-write layer. Unionfs enables files to be copied up
from the read-only layer to the read-write layer.

Does one really want to implement "copyup" in the VFS?

just my 2 agarot.

  Last update: 2007-04-10 19:27    [W:0.154 / U:10.980 seconds]