    SubjectRe: I give up
    On Tue, Apr 10, Gene Heskett wrote:

    > On Tuesday 10 April 2007, Olaf Hering wrote:
    > >On Mon, Apr 09, Dave Dillow wrote:
    > >> It's not /dev he's backing up -- its /home, /usr, and others. GNU tar
    > >> saves the device and inode numbers from the {,l}stat() call on each
    > >> file and decides it is a new file if either number changes from run to
    > >> run.
    > >
    > >So fix tar to not do silly things.
    > >Kernel major:minor numbers are not stable.

    I forgot to add: '.. not stable across reboots.'

    > YOU Tell that to the tar/star people, they are flabbergasted that its not
    > stable. It apparently is for every other OS tar can be run on.

    They probably have a point with the st_dev usage.
    You better find out why your major:minor pairs keep jumping around.
    Simply because the 'not stable across reboot' statement holds only for
    added/removed disks and maybe if the detection order changes.
    If your setup relies on a certain order, make sure the drivers get
    loaded in a fixed order. Its not clear from your other mails what
    exactly caused it. If its only due to a temporary change in
    testkernels, noone can do anything about it.

      Last update: 2007-04-10 18:11    [W:0.023 / U:4.604 seconds]