    SubjectRe: Rebuilding and checksumming the Linux kernel
    On Apr 1, 6:10 pm, "David Schwartz"  wrote:
    > > I'm working on a project with teams spread across the world and we all
    > > work on the same repository patching the kernel and then integrating
    > > into a common main branch. Even though we label the source code, we
    > > would like to make sure that we are all building the same kernel by
    > > running md5sum on the resulting binary.
    > > Right now, this is not possible because the kernel includes a
    > > timestamp and a build number on the binary. What are this timestamps
    > > used for? Can we just remove them? Is there any other thing that may
    > > lead to different binaries? (we are using the exact toolchains and
    > > build machines, so we can assume that the same executable is generated
    > > if the input source is the same).
    > I think this is wrong in principle even if you can get it to work in
    > practice. If you want to all work on the same kernel, then keep a single
    > copy somewhere that you all work from. There is no reason the same source
    > code will or should always produce the same output. Compilers are not
    > generally required to be deterministic.

    Could you please be a little more specific? We keep toolchains in our
    SCM tool, so we can always retrieve a particular version of them and
    rebuild with them. Why shouldn't we get the same binary then? I'm
    really interested in hearing your opinion on this practice.

    Encontrá a "Tu psicópata favorito"

    The future is not what it used to be.
    -- Paul Valéry

      Last update: 2007-04-02 03:07    [W:0.021 / U:43.760 seconds]