SubjectRe: [patch 2/3] fs: introduce perform_write aop
Date

On 9 Mar 2007, at 12:52, Nick Piggin wrote:

> Hi Christoph,
>
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 10:39:13AM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>> Hi Nick,
>>
>> sorry for my later reply, this has been on my to answer list for
>> the last
>> month and I only managed to get back to it now.
>
> No worries, I haven't had much time to work on it since then anyway.
> Thanks for taking a look.
>
>> On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 02:07:36PM +0100, Nick Piggin wrote:
>>> as a single call to copy a given amount of userdata at the given
>>> offset. This
>>> is more flexible, because the implementation can determine how to
>>> best handle
>>> errors, or multi-page ranges (eg. it may use a gang lookup), and
>>> only requires
>>> one call into the fs.
>>
>> I really like this idea, especially for avoiding to call into the
>> allocator
>> for every block.

Indeed. FWIW my NTFS driver does not use the generic file write
helper function and instead has its own code that does the allocation
first and then does the writing a page at a time much the same as
generic file write does so depending on what this new interface ends
up looking like exactly I may well be able to switch the NTFS driver
to use it instead of doing everything by myself and duplicating a ton
of code from the VFS...

Best regards,

Anton

Linux NTFS maintainer, http://www.linux-ntfs.org/