SubjectRe: [ck] [ANNOUNCE] RSDL completely fair starvation free interactive cpu scheduler
Date
On Sunday 04 March 2007 01:00, Con Kolivas wrote:
> This message is to announce the first general public release of the
> "Rotating Staircase DeadLine" cpu scheduler.
>
> Based on previous work from the staircase cpu scheduler I set out to
> design, from scratch, a new scheduling policy design which satisfies every
> requirement for SCHED_NORMAL (otherwise known as SCHED_OTHER) task
> management.

Con, you've really outdone yourself this time ! :D

As a long time user of the -ck patchset, RSDL is a welcome change, and a great
piece of code to play around with, and USE!

Booted up on my system perfectly, Pentium-D 830 3GHz, 1.5GB RAM.

No problems whatsoever so far, using 0.26. I can launch up a bunch of encode
jobs, in SCHED_NORMAL even, and still have low latency on my desktop (I know
it's not low latency _specific_ code, but it works very well).

I guess all I can say is.. wow. This code isn't "prime time" ready, yet.. But
it can be, and would be a great addition to mainline.

Hell, a little tuning and merging this with a few current ck patches could
make a damn fine kernel, and probably beat out the original staircase in
desktops. :)

Keep up the good work !
-r

--
Rodney "meff" Gordon II -*- meff@pobox.com
Systems Administrator / Coder Geek -*- Open yourself to OpenSource