SubjectRe: Kernel threads
Date
Your change seems fine to me.  I certainly concur that it seems insane
for init to be responsible for tasks created magically inside the
kernel. The history I've found says that the setting to SIGCHLD was
introduced as part of "v2.5.1.9 -> v2.5.1.10", without detailed
commentary in the log. This was probably before the auto-reaping
semantics worked as they do now. So like the man said, at the time,
it seemed the logical thing to do.

To be paranoid, I wouldn't make this change in any stable kernel series.
It changes behavior visible to userland (init) from how it has been
consistently for five years, so, who knows, something might notice.
The old behavior is pretty harmless, albeit changing it seems both
preferable and harmless.

Thanks,
Roland

  Last update: 2007-03-09 01:33    [W:0.297 / U:0.496 seconds]