    SubjectRe: PAGE_SIZE Availability Inconsistency
    Anton Blanchard wrote:
    >> By the way, it's a massive snafu that the swap area magic number is
    >> dependent on PAGE_SIZE. There is absolutely no good reason for that.
    > Agreed, its been a big problem booting between 4kB and 64kB kernels on
    > ppc64.

    The easiest way to fix this would be to always park the swap magic at
    the offset of the smallest page size in use, which is 4K. This is
    analogous how the offset for the ext2/3 superblock got fixed at 1K --
    for 1K blocks, it's the second block, but for larger blocks, it's part
    of the first block. If we fix the offset of the swap magic at 4096
    minus the offset that's already there, it will always fall in the first
    page regardless of page size.

      Last update: 2007-03-08 19:09    [W:0.020 / U:42.900 seconds]