    SubjectRe: should RTS init in serial core be tied to CRTSCTS
    On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 08:44:31AM -0500, Robin Getz wrote:
    > On Wed 7 Mar 2007 16:30, Oleksiy Kebkal pondered:
    > > 2007/3/7, Robin Getz <rgetz@blackfin.uclinux.org>:
    > > > Right - so the question is where to manage the default state? I was
    > > > thinking in the resource might be a good idea, but there isn't really a
    > > > good place for it. (You could re-use some bits if flags, but I think that
    > > > would not be a good idea).
    > >
    > > /proc/tty/driver/uartN/settings?
    > >

    > That would let you change things are run time, but the problem is at boot
    > time. A default setting needs to be set, so when things initialize, and proc
    > does not exist yet, it is still set properly...

    I disagree. "proc does not exist yet" - the only time that applies is
    long before userspace as active.

    As I've said already, having a console on the same port as your application
    program is just asking for trouble. All bets are off - the kernel _will_
    corrupt your data stream in random places.

    Don't do it - it will _NEVER_ be reliable.

    Never, ever, mix kernel consoles with application serial ports.

    --
    Russell King
    maintainer of: