    SubjectRe: [patch 4/6] mm: merge populate and nopage into fault (fixes nonlinear)
    On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 01:26:38AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 10:18:23 +0100 Nick Piggin <npiggin@suse.de> wrote:
    >

    > > msync breakage is bad, but otherwise I don't know that we care about
    > > dirty page writeout efficiency.
    >
    > Well. We made so many changes to support the synchronous
    > dirty-the-page-when-we-dirty-the-pte thing that I'm rather doubtful that
    > the old-style approach still works. It might seem to, most of the time.
    > But if it _is_ subtly broken, boy it's going to take a long time for us to
    > find out.

    I can't think of anything that should have caused breakage (except for
    the msync thing). We're still careful about not dropping pte dirty bits.

    > > But I think we discovered that those msync changes are bogus anyway
    > > becuase there is a small race window where pte could be dirtied without
    > > page being set dirty?
    >
    > Dunno, I don't recall that. We dirty the page before the pte...

    I don't think it isn't really that simple. There is a big comment in
    clear_page_dirty_for_io.

      Last update: 2007-03-07 10:43    [W:0.042 / U:66.628 seconds]