    SubjectRe: [patch 4/6] mm: merge populate and nopage into fault (fixes nonlinear)

    On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 12:35:20AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > I'm rather regretting having merged it - I don't think it has been used for
    > much.
    > Paolo's UML speedup patches might use nonlinear though.

    Guess what major real-life application not only uses nonlinear daily
    but would even be very happy to see it extended with non-vma-creating
    protections and more? It's not terribly typical for things to be
    truncated while remap_file_pages() is doing its work, though it's been
    proposed as a method of dynamism. It won't stress remap_file_pages() vs.
    truncate() in any meaningful way, though, as userspace will be rather
    diligent about clearing in-use data out of the file offset range to be
    truncated away anyway, and all that via O_DIRECT.

    -- wli

      Last update: 2007-03-07 10:33    [W:0.041 / U:2.872 seconds]