SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] [DOC] The documentation for HID Simple Driver Interface 0.5.0
On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Li Yu wrote:

> > If we define HID "bus" allowing drivers to bind on VID:PID and provide
> > default library module for parsing HID reports and providing access to
> > HID transports (USB/BT) then writing tiny drivers adjusting just a
> > part of hid_input_event and relying on default implemenattaion where
> > it makes sense will become a breeze.
> But (You may guess I will say this word :), before the HID bus or other
> better implementation come , I hope use the extended keys of my keyboard
> on Linux, and I guess other people also think same with me, so we need
> something here temporarily, even it do not merge into upstream code
> tree.
> And, I want to know that is somebody works on HID bus, Can I join it?

I will probably start working on it one day. Anyway some parts of what
Dmitry described are already in the mainline since 2.6.20 - the parser
code (and hid_device registration and initialization in general) is
already there. Access to transport layers (USB/BT) is partly also there
(see hid_open(), hid_close() and hidinput_input_event() callbacks in
struct hid_device). So really the only one pending thing which is
non-trivial would be creating an interface for registering the device
driver for given VID/PID on the HID bus, and solving the fallback
mechanism, i.e. assuring that everything works for drivers which are OK
with generic hid and hid-input behavior.

I will happily accept such patches from you, if you do them. Otherwise I
will start to work on it in a future anyway.

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina