    SubjectRe: The performance and behaviour of the anti-fragmentation related patches
    Linus Torvalds writes:

    > The point being that in the guests, hotunplug is almost useless (for
    > bigger ranges), and we're much better off just telling the virtualization
    > hosts on a per-page level whether we care about a page or not, than to
    > worry about fragmentation.

    We don't have that luxury on IBM System p machines, where the
    hypervisor manages memory in much larger units than a page. Typically
    the size of memory block that the hypervisor uses to manage memory is
    16MB or more -- which makes sense from the point of view that if the
    hypervisor had to manage individual pages, it would end up adding a
    lot more overhead than it does.

    Paul.

      Last update: 2007-03-06 05:19    [W:0.020 / U:33.188 seconds]