SubjectRe: should RTS init in serial core be tied to CRTSCTS
On 3/5/07, Russell King <rmk+lkml@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 12:09:20PM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > >
> > >The console command *only* sets the state for the kernel's use of one
> > >serial port. It does not affect any other serial port, so tying
> > >random RTS behaviours into that command line option is absolutely
> > >silly.
> >
> > true ... so ignoring the original motivation for change i posted, is
> > it really correct for the serial core to be forcing TIOCM_RTS at uart
> > startup even though the uart doesnt have CTSRTS flow control enabled ?
> > in other words, my change is agnostic of the console, and is done for
> > all uarts ... it should prob have a similar change in uart_shutdown()
> > though ...
>
> No idea - it's something that Linux has always done. Neither do I have
> any idea if changing it will break anyones setup. However, since I don't
> maintain serial anymore, I'm not about to start playing about with this
> trying to find out.

ok, i was going by Documentation/serial/driver:
... any questions you have should be directed to <rmk@arm.linux.org.uk>
guessing that should be updated ? :)

> Feel free to submit a patch to akpm to leave RTS alone when CRTSCTS is
> not set. I'd recommend that it sits in -mm for about 6 months to really
> get an idea if it breaks anything.

sounds good to me, thanks
-mike

  Last update: 2007-03-05 19:17    [W:0.054 / U:0.216 seconds]