    SubjectRe: The performance and behaviour of the anti-fragmentation related patches
    On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, Martin J. Bligh wrote:

    > That'd be nice. Unfortunately we're stuck in the real world with
    > real hardware, and the situation is likely to remain thus for
    > quite some time ...

    Our real hardware does behave as described and therefore does not suffer
    from the problem.

    If you want a software solution then you may want to look at Zoran
    Radovic's work on Hierachical Backoff locks. I had a draft of a patch a
    couple of years back that showed some promise to reduce lock contention.
    HBO locks can solve starvation issues by stopping local lock takers.

    See Zoran Radovic "Software Techniques for Distributed Shared Memory",
    Uppsala Universitet, 2005 ISBN 91-554-6385-1.

      Last update: 2007-03-03 18:53    [W:0.362 / U:99.640 seconds]