Subjectbugs in kernel 2.6.21 (both two release candidates) and kernel 2.6.20
Hi folks,
the floppy mount error I mentioned is gone now in 2.6.21-rc2, and my kernel is smaller. Good decision to rip out Stephane's stuff, Linus!
As I did not get a reply from Andrew I hope that the buggy stuff residing in 2.6.20-mm1 ( freezing my apache services
- I already mentioned the problem some days ago - mm2 I did not try yet ) will never be pushed into vanilla mainline.
I owe some old CDROM and CDRW devices manufactured by TEAC (bought somewhen in 1999): CDR 540 and CDRW 54.
Those old CD devices sometimes get confused with drive seek errors and status errors shown in dmesg.
The newer DVD devices (LG reading device and Yamakawa burning device) do not show those errors at all.
As I have finished an enourmous project 6 weeks ago (transforming some 500 Audio CDs to MP3 format
with kaudiocreator and lame 3.97 (320 kbit quality - preset insane) and then burning the material on DVDs)
those old devices were an incredible help in some cases where the newer DVD devices refused to read some audio
CDs without errors. That's why I do not want to kick them off at all. Never had those troubles with kernel 2.6.19 and former ones.
Dmesg 1 says on my AMD machine with a CDR540 as /dev/hdd during boot process:
hdd: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdd: media error (bad sector): error=0x34 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x03 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
ATAPI device hdd:
Error: Medium error -- (Sense key=0x03)
(reserved error code) -- (asc=0x02, ascq=0x00)
The failed "Read 10" packet command was:
"28 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
end_request: I/O error, dev hdd, sector 64
Buffer I/O error on device hdd, logical block 8
hdd: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdd: media error (bad sector): error=0x34 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x03 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
ATAPI device hdd:
Error: Medium error -- (Sense key=0x03)
(reserved error code) -- (asc=0x02, ascq=0x00)
The failed "Read 10" packet command was:
"28 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
end_request: I/O error, dev hdd, sector 64
Buffer I/O error on device hdd, logical block 8

But even more crucial is this one:
Dmesg 2 says on the Intel machine with a TEAC CDRW54 as /dev/hdd:
hdd: status error: status=0x7f { DriveReady DeviceFault SeekComplete DataRequest CorrectedError Index Error }
hdd: status error: error=0x7f { IllegalLengthIndication EndOfMedia AbortedCommand MediaChangeRequested LastFailedSense=0x07 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
For about 1 second the whole system hangs while /dev/hdd is executing some kind of reinitialization, just like as if you unconnect
the data and the 12 V / 6V cable and reconnect them again while the machine is up and running.
For a DVB-S record f. ex. the breakdown of the recording can be one consequence.
Question: Can someone reading this please confirm these errors? Please take old CD devices to find out, not newer ones or even DVD devices!
I am using the standard IDE driver with the following chipsets: Intel ICH4 and SIS 5513. And please take time, as these crucial errors do not happen
immediately, but about 4 times in about 8 - 10 hours while the machine is up and running.

Yours sincerely and thanks for all your efforts

Uwe
P. S.: I do not think this is a hardware error as I did not have those problems with kernels <= 2.6.19.

Jetzt GMX TopMail testen: www.gmx.net/de/go/mailfooter/topmail-out